It's ALIIIIVVVVEEE!

Actually, I haven't been gone that long. A lot has happened though, so I actually have things to update you on and will be doing it in a two post installment.... or something....hmmm, I feel like that started off better and kind of died there at the end. Anyway, this first post will be about my mural!

When I worked at Challenger, I did the elementary lunch with a woman name Bridgette. One day we were talking, and she was saying how they were redecorating their kids' rooms. Her oldest son, Hayden, was having a Star Wars room (her husband, Steve, is a huge fan, he knows what an AT-AT is). Bridgette just wanted to paint the walls gray and put up posters or pictures or what not, but Steve wanted something actually painted on the wall. And not really thinking I told her I was a huge Star Wars fan too (I also know what a AT-AT is and what the letters stand for), and how it would be kind of fun to paint a mural. Well, to make a long story not so long, I ended up being hired to paint Hayden's room. That it what I have been doing for the past two weeks.

Here is how it progressed in pictures.

The first couple of days was actually drawing all the stuff on the wall, but you wouldn't be able to see the pencil makes in a picture. So, we jump straight to painting day one and here it is.



This is the window of the second Death Star from Return of the Jedi. Only the black sky is done.



The beginning of the gray. I actually hated painting this part because it was all straight lines or circles. Bane of my existence.



Finished with all the gray!! (In pictures it seams fast, but this all took me about a week.)



Here are some control panels, mostly to add some color into the room (this is part of the Week of Gray).



In the Death Star they have these vertical white lights and horizontal red ones scattered around, also part of the Week of Gray.



Ohhh, more control panels. This one is part of the "I am SOOOOOOOO happy not to be doing gray" period.



Darth Vader and Luke battling it out. Unfortunately without lightsabers, it looks a little silly. The IASHNTBDG period.



I did half a face for a character from each of the films. Darth Maul for Episode I (he's obviously not there yet), Jango Fett for Episode II, Darth Vader for Episode III, Luke Skywalker for Episode IV, Yoda for Episode V, and R2-D2 for Episode VI. It will have the episode name next to it at some point (six points to anyone who can name all of them without looking them up).

Now we get to the finished product. Are you ready?


















The faces are my favorite part. First, they were the easiest and most enjoyable to do. Second, they are freaking awesome. Lastly, they were the easiest and most enjoyable to do.

This was my first attempt at a mural. I think it turned out pretty good. I also learned a lot and when I (hopefully) do this again, I will definitely be doing something's differently. It was a really good experience, and I got payed for it. How awesome?

Thus ends the first part of the two part post. The parts don't really have anything to do with one another, but it was all happening at the same time and so are related. Ha.

DDoG:
Similar interests. It amazes me how two totally different people can suddenly bond because of a shared interest. Like Steve and me. He's married with three kids and is a police officer. I am single with no job and live with my parents. But we had an half hour long conversation about Star Wars and how awesome it is. Now is that necessarily the most profound thing ever, no, but it created a sense of understanding and friendship (well, and to real Star Wars fans, Star Wars is profound). Think about the bonds you share with other people because of like interest. Then be thankful for that bond and friendship.

Comments

  1. Coolest thing I've ever seen. Coolest room I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine my delight when this is the first blog I catch up on in AGES. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I: Phantom Menance
    II: Clone Wars
    III: Revenge of the Sith...?
    IV: A New Hope
    V: Empire Strikes Back
    VI: Return of the Jedi

    Do I win??

    Can I hire you to do a mural for me too? We should discuss!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts