TMNT

Warning: this entire (slightly lengthy) post is about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Best. Day. Ever.

"Rachael," you ask. "Why was it the best day ever?"

I'll tell you.

I went to McDonald's (we'll talk about my horrible food choices some other time). I walk in and see the display for the Happy Meal toys. They have some weird Moche Monsters things for girls, but for the boys they have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toys. Now, I love the TMNT. So, I'm thinking about getting a Happy Meal to get one of the toys. However, there was no one else in line, and I panicked when the guy asked me wanted and ordered an adult meal! Horror of horrors. I've missed out on getting my toy. Then I'm thinking, maybe I should just ask for one anyway. I chickened out when my food came though and didn't ask. I sit down to eat my food still thinking about how I want this toy, and I decide to just ask for one once I finish my food.

I go up to the register (again) and ask, "Is there any way I can get a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy even though I didn't by a Happy Meal?"

The girl at the register was like, "Yeah, we can do that. Which on would you like?"

Victory! I got Raphael because they had those at the front, and I already had Leonardo. (Yes, this was not the first time I asked for a TMNT toy, but that is a different story.) I will be playing with them, and those two are really the only ones that would get in fights together. Am I planning on getting Mikey and Donnie at some point. Yes, yes I am.

Now, here are pictures of my turtles.





They are actually from the new show which is AWESOME! I know, I know. Some of you are fans of the 1987 version, most of you have probably not seen the 2003 version (we won't even talk about the live action version because it's awful), so you might be a little skeptical that this version could be that good. First, let me show you what the boys look like.


You are wondering, "It's CG animation?! Don't all CG animated tv shows stink?" Usually you would be right, but this is one of the rare exceptions where that is incorrect. Now, I will say that the human people look a little weird. That will always be the case with CG animated tv shows. It can't be helped. But the turtles, they are amazing.

Now, before I go on, I have to talk about the two other version of the TMNT.

First, the 1987, or original, TMNT.


I enjoy the show. I mean, it's a 1980s cartoon. They are fun and light and goofy for the most part. There are, however, a few things I have problems with, the main one being the turtles personalities. They were not distinct enough for me. They all kind of felt the same. One of the things that I love about the turtles is how their different personalities mesh. Another thing is the actual animation itself. I understand that that was as good as it got for animated tv shows then, so I let it slide for the most part. This is really the last one, Mikey's voice. It is way to surfer dude for me. I can't handle it. I love that it is funny. There is sarcasm and jokes and ridiculous situations. It's fun and the stories were enjoyable.

Now for the 2003 version.


This is what I really grew up watching (and by that I mean it was my first turtle show, and I watched it in high school and college), so I have a special place in my heart for this show. It also follows the comics a lot better up to a certain point. The first three seasons are awesome, but in the fourth things start to get weird, and then things just go off the deep end after that. The main problem with this one was that it was a little too intense at times for my liking. I mean, the turtles didn't even really seem like teenagers really (which they don't in the comics either, so I guess it makes a kind of sense), especially Leo. However, they do have more distinct personalities then in the previous show.

Now for the new version.


This show combines all the good things from the previous shows and adds some extra new stuff to make one awesome show.

First, the turtles themselves.

Leonardo.


Leo is adorable. He is still the most responsible one, the leader, but he acts his age. He's also kind of a dork. He watches this show called "Space Heroes" that is a spoof of "Star Trek" for which Raph make fun of him. It's precious.

Raphael. (P.S. I love that his name is one letter away from being my name. It's awesome.)


First, let me say that Raph is voiced by Sean Astin, as in Samwise Gamgee. Awesome? Very. He's also more like his 87 version in that he's sarcastic (in the 2003 version, he was really just angry). He has a temper, of course. He also has a pet turtle named Spike, who he loves dearly.

Donatello.


Donnie is voiced by the man who voiced Raph in the original cartoon. He is a nerd. He is also the tallest of the turtles, which is different (they are usually all the same height). He has a huge crush on April. It's cute.

Michelangelo.


Mikey has always been one of my favorite turtles (honestly, I really love them all equally). He makes me laugh. He's a bit of an idiot in this show but it's endearing. You just want to hug him all the time. He's definitely the baby of the group and gets picked on by the others, but he can take it. One more point, his catchphrase is "booyakasha." Just say it. I promise you'll feel awesome.

Overall, I really like the dynamic of this group of turtles. It's a good mix of humor and seriousness. They rib each other, but stand up for one another, too. They seem like brothers.

I would go on, but this post is getting long, so I'll just say a few more things. April O'Neil is 16 in this version. It's a little weird at first, but it helps with the idea that the turtles are actual teenagers. The first fight with the Shredder is awesome. One of my favorite scenes visually is in that sequence. Splinter is a little more spry then in any previous incarnation. If you have ever enjoyed any TMNT, then this is definitely worth a watch. It's fun. And awesome. And I kind of want to make plushies of all the turtles now. If you want a little more info on the show, iTunes has a free download of the creator and voices actors talking about the show at a convention. It's about 45 minutes long. Kevin Eastman makes an appearance.


This is actually a good illustration of what the turtles are like.

DDoG:
Creativity. So many good things in life come because of this. I should work on mine.

Comments

  1. I now want to check out the new TMNT. Also, if we want to talk about poor decision making regarding food, I stopped at the 24 hour drive through last night at 12:30 and bought myself a 20 piece chicken McNugget. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea, I got through half the nuggets in a couple minutes and then started to regret that purchase.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts