Firefly

Or Why I Both Love and Hate Joss Whedon.

I finally did it. I succumbed. I gave in. I said I wasn't going to do it, but I did it. And it was a terrible, wonderful, horrible, fantastic mistake that I'd make again in a second. I watched the show Firefly.

Firefly is a show created by Joss Whedon (the man who brought us Buffy and Angel and The Avengers). It is a space western. Some people found it offsetting which is probably one of the reasons it was canceled after 14 episode. Unfortunate for anyone who has watched the show since. The cult following for the show is so strong that they got a movie made to tie up the series (I'm not sure how happy I am about that because the movie made me cry and want to punch Joss Whedon in the face). It has good acting, wonderful writing, and fantastic characters. It can be a little violent and well, there is one character that is a "companion" or as the captain likes to call her a whore. So there are a few sketchy scenes, but nothing super bad and very few. There is also a butt scene, but that is mostly hilarious because Mal gets left in desert. There isn't a whole lot of swearing, but that is mostly because they do it in Chinese. It is a little disconcerting at first because they are used just like english swear words, so you have this sentence in english and then some Chinese and then more english. That and they will just through in Chinese phrases. Dong ma means understand or understood; they use that one a lot. It is not a fluffy kind of show, but it is very well done.

Now, I never wanted to see this show for a couple of reasons. One, it is really short. I like longer series because I hate for things to end. I hate saying goodbye to the characters. When I finished the last HP book, I kind of just sat there numb wondering what I was supposed to do now. (I also cried for like 30 minutes when Fred died. I sobbed. I cried my way through the next couple of chapters too. It was horrible.) So I was a little tentative to jump into something that was going to end fairly quickly. Two, I thought I didn't like the lead actor, Nathan Fillion. I had seen him in Castle and had not been impressed. Turns out I just don't like that character because he is fantastic as Malcolm Reynolds. This was all before I found out it was created by Joss Whedon. Once I found that out, I was like, "Oh, it's probably going to be really good." I was right. And now I just want to sit down and watch the entire series all over again. What the heck, Joss? What are you trying to do to my life? Now, I'll probably end up finishing the second season of Dollhouse which is another of Joss's creations (I watched the first season but never got around to watching the second). I'm on a Joss Whedon kick, and all I want is more Firefly and the second Avengers movie (two more years), or that S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show they were talking about doing that would have Agent Coleman in it.

I need to get a life. In other news, I start my nanny job tomorrow! Yay! For me. Real work. Or just work. Whatev. Also, I am feeling good. Like happy good, so a plus as far as life things go. Oh, General Conference was really good. Obviously. When is it bad? Haha. I thought about dedicating a post to it, but it was mostly a lot of very personal impression so that was a no. But I hope all of you got something to work on or find comfort in from Conference. I also thought about how I'll be around (barring something horrible) for the bicentennial of the Church because it's only 17 years away which isn't really a long time. Then I realized that I'd be 43, and I felt kind of old. Oh, I am also reading all the HP books with my friend Krystle. Three chapters a day should have us finished in 66 days. I am a big fan of re-reading. I like my characters too much to not go back and visit. I think this will be my fourth or fifth time through with HP. Although I'm pretty sure I've read the third one like twenty times. It's my favorite.

And now for some things that I found funny this week.


The real pro and con of having a baby. Haha.


Who knew Rock, Paper, Scissors was such a sad tale?

This last one isn't funny, but it is what I walked out to the other day.


Isn't it gorgeous. Gotta love springtime. And that sky. Love it.

Well, that turned out to be one of the most rambley, disconnected posts I've done in a while. This is actually how my brain works throughout the day with my blog in mind. I'll see something and think, "I should blog about that." If I followed all those thoughts every post would probably end up like this. Aren't you all glad I don't? Haha.

DDoG:
Windy days. I love the sound of windy days. It makes me think of fresh, clean, happy things.

Comments

  1. I can't believe you'd never seen Firefly! Actually, I watched it just last fall for the first time, so I'm not really any different. Also, I didn't think I'd like Mal either because I had seen Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog and I hate the guy Mal plays in that. But then once again, he proved awesome as Mal, so it's just the character that he did a good job portraying as lame. And yes... nothing was more scarring that the ending of Serenity. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Rach thanks for a post. It really makes me happy to read your blog. I should re-read HP I have only read them once. Maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Firefly. I also love Castle and Dr. Horrible :) My love of Firefly was such that I convinced a boy with the DVD of Serenity to bring it over and watch it with me, because I wanted to see it.

    On re-reading books - I am a HUGE re-reader. Or at least, I used to be. As you are probably very well aware, I have read the Betsy-Tacy series approximately 100 times. Have you ever read it?? I can't remember. As I write this I'm looking at my bookshelf...and it's calling my name....but then I think, maybe it's time to read some Harry Potter again...it's weird, though, because I don't re-read books any more - that is, if I read it back in high school, I'll read it again now. But if I read it for the first time in college or beyond...no re-reading for me. Hmm...I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts