Nostalgia
There are somethings that can only be enjoyed because you loved them as a kid.
Prime example:
Oh, man. This show is awesome. I feel like I have talked about this. Have I talked about this? Am I repeating blog posts? Is my life that boring? Maybe I'm just really tired because it's two o'clock in the morning. Nah. Probably.
Anyway, back to Beast Wars. Why do I bring this up (possibly for the second time)? One, because it is on Netflix, so I have been re-watching it. Two, because it really is awesome. In the so terrible it's awesome kind of way. The animation is awful... oh my gosh, I have talked about this... I have typed this sentence before... I can't find the post I talked about this in. Dang it.
Did I talk about watching it with Janell while she was sewing a dress for the Renaissance fair we were going to the next day? Hahahahaha. Because that is probably the funniest thing that has ever happened to me. Ever. I'm going to pee my pants because I'm laughing so hard right now. Hahahaha. I don't know if I can type this out. Hahahaha. Oh, I can't breath.
Okay, okay.
Whew.
So, Janell had never seen Beast Wars, and I told you she had to watch it because it was awesome. (Keep in mind that we are about 17 years old, holy crap that was ten years ago.) She agreed because she needed to sew her dress for the Renaissance fair that we were going to go to the next day and was staying the night at my place anyway. We put in Beast Wars, and Janell starts sewing. It's all good, but then I fall asleep. I wake up intermittently during the night to the Beast Wars theme song and Janell sewing in the background. I was too out of it to turn it off, and she was too intent on her sewing to turn it off, so it kind of played all night. (You should actually check it out because it is one of the most annoying theme songs out there.)
In the morning, I get up and get ready for a soccer game I had that morning. Janell has finished her dress at this point but hasn't really gotten any sleep. She comes to my game (such a good friend). Unfortunately, she is really tired, and she told me later that she didn't really know where she was. She just kept wondering around the field in a confused daze. Hahaha. (Oh man, I forgot how ridiculous this whole thing was.)
After we go home and I shower, we head to the Renaissance fair.
Now, a bit of background. Janell had heard about this fair from some of her internet friends which is really kind of sketchy if you think about it. What were are parents thinking? They let us go to a Renaissance fair that was like an hour and a half away that one of us had learned about from some people on the internet. Hahahaha.
So we get there and (we are totally dressed up for this by the way, remember, Janell was making a dress) it is the LAMEST thing ever. Now, I know what you are thinking. "Rachael, it's a Renaissance fair, what were you expecting?" But no, I had never been to or have gone to another, but I know that this was subpar for a subpar Renaissance fair. There were maybe five or six booths, and a tiny space for jousting (some kind of thing with horses). Everyone was was speaking with "thous" and "thees" and "fair ladies," etc. Haha. And to make everything even better, it was right next to a winery, so most everyone was drunk. We meet up with Janell's internet friends, who were actually really nice, but it was still kind of awkward. We only stayed for about 30 minutes because the whole thing was super weird.
Now comes my favorite part of the story. I'm pretty sure that Janell still hates that I find this so funny.
We are parked in this field like place because this thing was in the middle of nowhere. We get to the car and decide that we do not want to drive the hour and a half back home in dresses. Lucky for me, I was wearing an undershirt and my dress also had an underskirt thing, so it was relatively easy to change modestly in parking lot/field. Janell on the other hand was not so lucky. Her dress was like a really long, fairly tight shirt with super long sleeves. No zippers, buttons, or anything to help take it off. I'm changed, and she is in the backseat of the car trying to get her dress off. She's put on pants under the dress and is trying to take the dress off like you would a t-shirt. She had the skirt part of the dress up over her head, but she can't move anymore because the material has no stretch and is kind of tight. Plus, like I said, the sleeves are ridiculously long and keep getting in her way.
So there she is, skirt over her head, arms flailing around trying to get the dress off. Of course, being the awesome friend that I am, I am laughing hysterically. I am laughing so hard, I have to lean against the car for support or risk falling over. While I am laughing my head off, Janell is getting more and more angry with me. The more she gets angry with me and tells me to stop laughing and help her, the funnier I find the whole situation. I finally gain enough control over myself to help her get the dress off (although it still takes a few tries because I keep bursting into hysterical bouts of laughter).
Once we get changed, we drive home (I get lost driving back, so it takes about an hour longer to get home than it did to get there). Janell sleeps most of the way home which was a good thing considering she was going on about an hour or less of sleep. We do get home safe in the end, and Janell was still my friend even after I laughed so hard at her expense (Sorry, Janelly).
I have never laughed so hard in my life. It is by far one of my favorite memories of high school.
Now, you understand why I love Beast Wars. Not only did I grow up with it, but it reminds me of something that will without exception always cheer me up. I wish I had video of all of it because it is never as funny as if you were there. Unless you're Janell. Hahahahahahaha.
I hope all of you have something like this. Something that will remind you of a really great memory. Something that can always brighten your day and make you laugh.
I'm sorry if I have already shared all of this, but I feel like it is worth sharing again even if I have shared it before.
DDoG:
Beast Wars and Renaissance fairs and long sleeved dresses.
P.S. Turns out last post was my 200th! What? I didn't even realize. Sad day. Luckily it was a good post. I can't believe I've gotten to 200. I'm a little bit proud of myself. Hahaha.
P.P.S. Whoever can point out my amazingly awesome joke in this post gets a congratulatory letter from me.
Prime example:
Oh, man. This show is awesome. I feel like I have talked about this. Have I talked about this? Am I repeating blog posts? Is my life that boring? Maybe I'm just really tired because it's two o'clock in the morning. Nah. Probably.
Anyway, back to Beast Wars. Why do I bring this up (possibly for the second time)? One, because it is on Netflix, so I have been re-watching it. Two, because it really is awesome. In the so terrible it's awesome kind of way. The animation is awful... oh my gosh, I have talked about this... I have typed this sentence before... I can't find the post I talked about this in. Dang it.
Did I talk about watching it with Janell while she was sewing a dress for the Renaissance fair we were going to the next day? Hahahahaha. Because that is probably the funniest thing that has ever happened to me. Ever. I'm going to pee my pants because I'm laughing so hard right now. Hahahaha. I don't know if I can type this out. Hahahaha. Oh, I can't breath.
Okay, okay.
Whew.
So, Janell had never seen Beast Wars, and I told you she had to watch it because it was awesome. (Keep in mind that we are about 17 years old, holy crap that was ten years ago.) She agreed because she needed to sew her dress for the Renaissance fair that we were going to go to the next day and was staying the night at my place anyway. We put in Beast Wars, and Janell starts sewing. It's all good, but then I fall asleep. I wake up intermittently during the night to the Beast Wars theme song and Janell sewing in the background. I was too out of it to turn it off, and she was too intent on her sewing to turn it off, so it kind of played all night. (You should actually check it out because it is one of the most annoying theme songs out there.)
In the morning, I get up and get ready for a soccer game I had that morning. Janell has finished her dress at this point but hasn't really gotten any sleep. She comes to my game (such a good friend). Unfortunately, she is really tired, and she told me later that she didn't really know where she was. She just kept wondering around the field in a confused daze. Hahaha. (Oh man, I forgot how ridiculous this whole thing was.)
After we go home and I shower, we head to the Renaissance fair.
Now, a bit of background. Janell had heard about this fair from some of her internet friends which is really kind of sketchy if you think about it. What were are parents thinking? They let us go to a Renaissance fair that was like an hour and a half away that one of us had learned about from some people on the internet. Hahahaha.
So we get there and (we are totally dressed up for this by the way, remember, Janell was making a dress) it is the LAMEST thing ever. Now, I know what you are thinking. "Rachael, it's a Renaissance fair, what were you expecting?" But no, I had never been to or have gone to another, but I know that this was subpar for a subpar Renaissance fair. There were maybe five or six booths, and a tiny space for jousting (some kind of thing with horses). Everyone was was speaking with "thous" and "thees" and "fair ladies," etc. Haha. And to make everything even better, it was right next to a winery, so most everyone was drunk. We meet up with Janell's internet friends, who were actually really nice, but it was still kind of awkward. We only stayed for about 30 minutes because the whole thing was super weird.
Now comes my favorite part of the story. I'm pretty sure that Janell still hates that I find this so funny.
We are parked in this field like place because this thing was in the middle of nowhere. We get to the car and decide that we do not want to drive the hour and a half back home in dresses. Lucky for me, I was wearing an undershirt and my dress also had an underskirt thing, so it was relatively easy to change modestly in parking lot/field. Janell on the other hand was not so lucky. Her dress was like a really long, fairly tight shirt with super long sleeves. No zippers, buttons, or anything to help take it off. I'm changed, and she is in the backseat of the car trying to get her dress off. She's put on pants under the dress and is trying to take the dress off like you would a t-shirt. She had the skirt part of the dress up over her head, but she can't move anymore because the material has no stretch and is kind of tight. Plus, like I said, the sleeves are ridiculously long and keep getting in her way.
So there she is, skirt over her head, arms flailing around trying to get the dress off. Of course, being the awesome friend that I am, I am laughing hysterically. I am laughing so hard, I have to lean against the car for support or risk falling over. While I am laughing my head off, Janell is getting more and more angry with me. The more she gets angry with me and tells me to stop laughing and help her, the funnier I find the whole situation. I finally gain enough control over myself to help her get the dress off (although it still takes a few tries because I keep bursting into hysterical bouts of laughter).
Once we get changed, we drive home (I get lost driving back, so it takes about an hour longer to get home than it did to get there). Janell sleeps most of the way home which was a good thing considering she was going on about an hour or less of sleep. We do get home safe in the end, and Janell was still my friend even after I laughed so hard at her expense (Sorry, Janelly).
I have never laughed so hard in my life. It is by far one of my favorite memories of high school.
Now, you understand why I love Beast Wars. Not only did I grow up with it, but it reminds me of something that will without exception always cheer me up. I wish I had video of all of it because it is never as funny as if you were there. Unless you're Janell. Hahahahahahaha.
I hope all of you have something like this. Something that will remind you of a really great memory. Something that can always brighten your day and make you laugh.
I'm sorry if I have already shared all of this, but I feel like it is worth sharing again even if I have shared it before.
DDoG:
Beast Wars and Renaissance fairs and long sleeved dresses.
P.S. Turns out last post was my 200th! What? I didn't even realize. Sad day. Luckily it was a good post. I can't believe I've gotten to 200. I'm a little bit proud of myself. Hahaha.
P.P.S. Whoever can point out my amazingly awesome joke in this post gets a congratulatory letter from me.


How is this the first time I am hearing that story? Hilarious.
ReplyDeleteJanell hates this story. I think I told her I wouldn't talk about it. I'm hoping she is over it by now. I wish you and Amanda could have been there with us. Hahaha.
DeleteWell this is hilarious. Someday the 4 of us should get together again.
ReplyDeleteI know, It needs to happen. We can take a road trip and get lost amidst fields of corn for old time's sake. It will be awesome.
Delete