Reflections
So, this past year was a little bit of a dud for me personally. Beside my NY trip (which was incredibly awesome), I, personally, didn't do anything. My family had a really big year. Becky is pregnant, Katelyn came home from the mish, Kelsey got married, Katelyn got engaged, Dad got a job, Mom got the 1st grade teaching job she wanted. Yep, big stuff for the fam. The only other thing, besides NY, that I did this year was keeping up this blog fairly well. Mostly due to people actually reading and commenting on it. Otherwise, I probably would have given up on this too.
Want to know what else my year consisted of? Of course you do!
I think, I actually read 100 books this year. Now, before you get all excited for me, half of those were manga and the other half were children or young adult and Star Wars novels. This brings me to what I really spent time on this year: anime and manga and Ninja Turtles (they will always be awesome to me. I love my turtles). Being graduated made me realize that I actually kind of want to stay a kid forever and just play for the rest of my life. Yet at the same time I desperately need to do something with my life and "grow up" (whatever that actually means, someone tell me when they figure it out). So, I spend most my free time (which is a kind of depressingly large amount of my time) watching cartoons and reading Japanese comics. I did get a temporary job that has become or is becoming not so temporary which is good. Even if it makes me want to shoot myself because of boredom sometimes, it is work and I am grateful for it.
Thinking about it now, I guess I have done some things. I started seriously drawing again. I can actually tell a difference when I draw. Bodies are easier to get in proportion, and I'm getting better at 3/4 faces (which I really hate drawing, pain in the butt). I'm finding it fun to do again.
Here are some very quick sketches I did. I was working on facial expressions, so I am the model for most of these (which is why they might look slightly familiar, but not actually like me):



Here are some with Kate a model (she made ridiculous faces), and some random people from the Internet:



I love the angry face. It's one of my favorites.

Ignore the horribly drawn and unfinished figure on the right.

This is Harlow, she the main character of a comic I am attempting to write. It's a pretty rough sketch actually, but I'm in love with her hair. It's actually inspired by some random girl I saw walking down the street with a huge pink pillow and a blue cooler. But the girl had hair like this, and an idea popped into my head for a character. Harlow will have a blue cooler too. This is actually a first sketch of her:

I've decided to make her older, and I'm getting rid of the pink pillow, but her hair is the same. Haha. I'm hoping to have the first chapter of this done at some point in the next two months or so...I'll put it up and you all can tell me how awesome or crappy it is.
Hmmmm, I feel like I got totally off track. Yeah, that was basically my year. Wow. Goal this year: Actually do something with my life. Haha.
Oh, I also discovered Pinterest this year, which might have been a not so good thing because I don't really need any more time wasters in my life. But then I also think of this quote:

And I realize I didn't waste any time this year, because I enjoy everything I do for the most part. And how many people can say that? I am truly blessed to be able to spend time doing things that I enjoy.
Oh, I didn't do this last year, but because this post isn't really following any kind of format or plan at all, I'll share!



I painted my cheap $7 shoes from Wal-Mart. Awesome, I know. I was really happy about how they turned out. The design idea actually come from one of my favorite anime shows, Samurai Champloo.

This is the inspiration. It's a scene from the opening credits. I thought about doing the silhouettes, but decided that was a little too nerdy even for me. And I was lazy. Haha.
So, I hope everyone has an awesome year. Remember to enjoy it. As President Hinckley said, "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
DDoG:
Talking to Becky on the phone. She always helps put things in perspective and reminds my to be positive.
Want to know what else my year consisted of? Of course you do!
I think, I actually read 100 books this year. Now, before you get all excited for me, half of those were manga and the other half were children or young adult and Star Wars novels. This brings me to what I really spent time on this year: anime and manga and Ninja Turtles (they will always be awesome to me. I love my turtles). Being graduated made me realize that I actually kind of want to stay a kid forever and just play for the rest of my life. Yet at the same time I desperately need to do something with my life and "grow up" (whatever that actually means, someone tell me when they figure it out). So, I spend most my free time (which is a kind of depressingly large amount of my time) watching cartoons and reading Japanese comics. I did get a temporary job that has become or is becoming not so temporary which is good. Even if it makes me want to shoot myself because of boredom sometimes, it is work and I am grateful for it.
Thinking about it now, I guess I have done some things. I started seriously drawing again. I can actually tell a difference when I draw. Bodies are easier to get in proportion, and I'm getting better at 3/4 faces (which I really hate drawing, pain in the butt). I'm finding it fun to do again.
Here are some very quick sketches I did. I was working on facial expressions, so I am the model for most of these (which is why they might look slightly familiar, but not actually like me):



Here are some with Kate a model (she made ridiculous faces), and some random people from the Internet:



I love the angry face. It's one of my favorites.

Ignore the horribly drawn and unfinished figure on the right.

This is Harlow, she the main character of a comic I am attempting to write. It's a pretty rough sketch actually, but I'm in love with her hair. It's actually inspired by some random girl I saw walking down the street with a huge pink pillow and a blue cooler. But the girl had hair like this, and an idea popped into my head for a character. Harlow will have a blue cooler too. This is actually a first sketch of her:

I've decided to make her older, and I'm getting rid of the pink pillow, but her hair is the same. Haha. I'm hoping to have the first chapter of this done at some point in the next two months or so...I'll put it up and you all can tell me how awesome or crappy it is.
Hmmmm, I feel like I got totally off track. Yeah, that was basically my year. Wow. Goal this year: Actually do something with my life. Haha.
Oh, I also discovered Pinterest this year, which might have been a not so good thing because I don't really need any more time wasters in my life. But then I also think of this quote:

And I realize I didn't waste any time this year, because I enjoy everything I do for the most part. And how many people can say that? I am truly blessed to be able to spend time doing things that I enjoy.
Oh, I didn't do this last year, but because this post isn't really following any kind of format or plan at all, I'll share!



I painted my cheap $7 shoes from Wal-Mart. Awesome, I know. I was really happy about how they turned out. The design idea actually come from one of my favorite anime shows, Samurai Champloo.

This is the inspiration. It's a scene from the opening credits. I thought about doing the silhouettes, but decided that was a little too nerdy even for me. And I was lazy. Haha.
So, I hope everyone has an awesome year. Remember to enjoy it. As President Hinckley said, "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
DDoG:
Talking to Becky on the phone. She always helps put things in perspective and reminds my to be positive.

I love the clouds in your Harlow drawing. Come back to New York any time!!
ReplyDeleteYour shoes are awesome.
ReplyDeleteI also want to remain a kid forever. :)
ReplyDeleteOk this is a little late to comment, but it's never too late...right? Thanks for all your great posts I always look forward to them. I'm taking Kylie on a mommy daughter date tomorrow. We are going to the library and then to McDonalds for ice cream. However with your post on the TMNTs we might get a Happy Meal. We'll see. Love you tons and love talking to you too. You've inspired me to do some big things in my life so thanks as well.
ReplyDelete