Europe II

Our next big trip was to Rome.


Colosseum was first. It was amazing. I am a little bit in love with this structure.


Inside. The sandy part is showing what the stage area would have looked like. Interesting fact: the word arena comes from the Latin word for sand. They would coat the stage in sand to soak up all the blood. Fun times.


The bottom of the arena. I loved all the mossy greenness. They would keep animals, props, and people down here and used a pulley and trap door system to get them in and out of the arena.
Detail of a top of a column. Corinthian. Another fun fact: the Colosseum's different levels have the different columns. Doric for the first level, ionic for the second, and Corinthian for the third.


Cobblestone. I hate walking on cobblestone.


The Trevi Fountain. Very cool at night. If you are going to go see it, see it at night. It's gorgeous all lit up.

Our second day in Rome started with...


St. Peter's.


The dome. Tallest dome in the world. Pretty cool. It was five euros to climb to the top, but I opted out because it would have been terrifying.


This is huge. It's the baldacchino which covers the alter where the pope takes mass. It is ridiculously tall. Seriously, I have seen it in pictures hundreds of times and have been told how tall it is, but it is almost overwhelmingly big in person. It was made by Bernini, which is not a surprise because it totally looks like his art. Very cool stuff. Also, under it is the tomb of St. Peter. They took the whole "upon this rock I will build my church" quite literally.


So many statues in St. Peter's. It was crazy. I liked this one quite a bit. The saint (can't remember which one) is holding the shroud with Christ's face on it. If you look closely, you can see it.

Part II is complete. Only one more post I promise.

Comments

Popular Posts